Vai ai contenuti

History - Trullo "Vicolo fiorito"

trullovicolofiorito@gmail.com
Salta menù
Salta menù
Salta menù

History

STORIA
HISTORICAL NOTES
Alberobello, the city of trulli, occupies a terrain rich in stratified limestone, a building material that characterizes the image of the city and the entire region. The trulli were built starting in the 15th century. Farmers who intended to settle in the area were allowed to build their homes, but were prohibited from using any type of lime. A royal decree, in fact, forbade the barons from erecting new urban settlements. With this construction method, in the event of a royal inspection, the Count of Conversano, administrator of the area, would have ordered the rapid demolition of the trulli and evaded taxation. In 1644, in a single night, the trulli were demolished, the stones scattered, and the inhabitants evicted. After the inspection, the farmers returned and rebuilt their homes, respecting the dry-stone construction method. Despite the kingdom's harsh laws and the whims of feudal lord Giangirolamo Acquaviva D'Aragona, a large community grew and settled in the early 17th century. The proclamation of Alberobello as a royal city in 1797 marked the beginning of the use of mortar in construction. Today, more than a thousand trulli have been listed as national monuments since 1930 and have been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.
THE TRULLO
The term "trullo," from the Greek tholos, meaning "dome," is thought to be a masonry derivation of the primitive hut. The entire structure of the trullo is built with local limestone, initially laid irregularly without any binding material. In the oldest trulli, built starting in the 1400s, the conical vault rose directly from the ground on a circular plan. In the most recent trulli, which are the majority and date back to the 17th century, the vault rests on the perimeter walls of the casedda, which is generally square in plan. The external cladding of the trulli is made of limestone slabs (chiancole), which, like tiles, prevent water infiltration. Finally, a decorative pinnacle of various shapes is placed at the apex of the cone. Sacred and profane designs, stars, crosses, crescent moons, and astral symbols, are often traced on the cones with limewash. The significant parts of the trullo construction are essentially two: the double central space, divided by the dome with a mezzanine, which corresponds externally to the conical roof, and several lateral spaces, alcoves, which are assigned specific functions, such as sleeping or cooking.
Miglior prezzo garantito
Risparmia prenotando alle tariffe
più basse, senza costi di intermediazione
Best price guaranteed
Save by booking at the lowest rates,
with no intermediary costs
+39 3391209777
+39 3398838832
+39 3283209600
+39 3383792998
+39 3381414552
Torna ai contenuti
Icona dell'applicazione
Trullo "Vicolo fiorito" Installa questa applicazione sulla tua schermata principale per un'esperienza migliore
Tocca Pulsante di installazione su iOS poi "Aggiungi alla tua schermata"